Getting good feedback is important in any design process. In web design projects even more so. But asking for and giving feedback can be quite tricky. You can’t casually ask your client to give you feedback. You need make sure you get relevant feedback.
These seven quick tips will help both you and your client in running an efficient design feedback process.
- Tell the client what parts of the design you want them to give their feedback on. Otherwise you’ll get feedback on everything from typography to margins. These three questions helps you in avoiding getting irrelevant feedback
- In what ways is the design failing in addressing business objectives?
- In what ways does the design fail to fulfil the needs of the end user?
- In what way is the copywriting failing in backing up the needs of the user and the business?
- Make sure you’re talking with an individual that has the power to approve your design. There are a lot of individuals that wants to make themselves important by acting important. Learn to identify and avoid these time-wasters.
- Make sure that you and your client are aligned on the business objectives of the project. This will make any review cycle easier and faster to execute. Read more about business objectives in web projects here.
- Ask your client to give specific and actionable feedback. Don’t be afraid of asking your client to do a bit of work. Encourage them to come with a suggestion. This is an excellent way of involving your client and make them feel involved.
- Make sure that the feedback moves the project forward. Don’t talk about design issues that have already been closed. To speed things up, give your client a time limit for providing feedback.
- Help your client give better feedback. Do this by providing examples or questions that creates a direction for the feedback. “Does adding this Pinterest button align well with the social media objectives of the site”? Making things specific makes taking action easier. You can read more about this in this article.
- Never conduct design feedback reviews over the phone. Make sure everything is written down. If it’s not written down, it doesn’t exist.